Friday, November 26, 2010

The 5 Movie Musicals I Will Watch Over and Over Happily.

A close friend of mine recently asked me what items I would bring if I was to be stranded on a desert island. In the top 10 was a portable media player with movie musicals on it. It's no secret to those who know me that I have a strange affinity for movie musicals. Whether they're from the dawn of the movie era, or simple indie films, I love them for reasons even I don't understand.

However, there comes a time when I just cannot watch a movie again. Certain movies are impossible to watch over and over. Whether it's for the emotional drain it causes, or simply the length of time, I can't watch movies like The King & I repeatedly. But, there are 5 that I can and will watch for days at a time. Here, in no particular order:

1. Across The Universe


Across the Universe is based entirely on the music of the Beatles. It's definitely got some dark, dreary moments, but overall, it's a sunny, gorgeous musical about life in the '60s.

2. Were The World Mine



I sing music from this movie at basically every moment of my life. My bird's name is Timmy, so he is constantly serenaded with "Oh Timothy." The movie basically revolves around a gay boy's homophobic school putting on a production of "A Midsummer's Night Dream," and his accidental transformation of the town. It's just pure silly, happy, musical fun.

3. Hairspray


I think every girl wants to be a little bit like Tracy Turnblad in the 2007 remake of "Hairspray," the sassy, self-confident, and totally awesome star of the movie. With pure camp cheesiness, a classic soundtrack, and actual substance, this is one of those great movies, no matter the time.

4. Spiceworld



This is my gratuitous Spice Girls post. I love them. They are awesome. My childhood revolved around them. I watch this movie at any opportunity, and I have it on all of my computers, plus 2 DVD copies, and a VHS. I have no shame about this. In fact, after I finish writing this blog, I will probably go watch it.

5. Top Hat



I still remember the first time I saw this movie, I was young and terribly uninterested in the old black & white movie my aunt wanted me to watch. But, I watched, and I was entranced by Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in this classic film. I still love it to this day.

There's something special about these musicals, if only for their ability to make me smile like a fool every time I watch them. And for that, I salute them.

No comments:

Post a Comment